Rising to the occasion with cleaning par excellence 10 Aug, 2015
Every cleaning situation has its challenges, which tend to be largely predictable. Major sporting and entertainment events, however, have a way of throwing a curve ball at facilities managers and their cleaning teams.
There’s the weather, for starters, not to mention the pressures of working around large crowds and under the media spotlight. Clean successfully and no-one notices; fall down in any way and your failure will attract the glare of countless spectators and TV viewers.
A recent international golf tournament was a classic example. The organisers jealously guard their reputation, demanding the highest standards of service (and that service providers do not name their brand). The event in question welcomed tens of thousands of spectators over the course of a week, along with the players and support staff, sponsors and TV crews.
Spectrum Service Solutions, a leading provider of contract cleaning and facilities management services in the UK, needed to ensure it had the best floor cleaning equipment to cover every eventuality – including the unpredictable British weather.
The company covers a wide range of industry sectors, but also specialises in event cleaning, including venues such as Hampden Park, Scotland’s national stadium. With a capacity of 52,000, it has hosted the Champions League finals, Scottish Cup Finals and concerts from artists such as Robbie Williams, Bruce Springsteen, Take That and U2.
Golf tournaments present a different challenge in the number and nature of facilities that need to be kept clean – hospitality pavilions for sponsors; large expanses of event carpet on open areas and walkways; a ‘village’ with big screens, bar and food areas; external carpeted balconies, and internal carpets and flooring. As well as the conventional dry dirt you’d expect on carpets, flooring also has to contend with wet grass and mud, fallen leaves, litter, spilt food and drinks.
This global sporting event was under the media spotlight – so a robust and regular cleaning regime was required to ensure the 5-star venue, and its carpets in particular, remained immaculate at all times.
Like a pro golfer with his trusty caddy, Spectrum Service Solutions needed a range of floor cleaning machines at hand to respond to every eventuality. Models from the Truvox tried and trusted range included:
- Valet Single Motor Upright - Robust and modern in design, this vacuum is for interiors, providing excellent manoeuvrability for hard-to-reach areas and a brush head that automatically senses the carpet pile height.
- Valet Wide Area Vac – This vacuum has a large 70 cm cleaning path, giving 2.5 times the coverage of a conventional tub or upright.
- Valet Aqua 20 Heavy Duty – A versatile wet and dry vacuum.
- Valet Backpack II – Ergonomically-designed, highly portable vacuum, particularly useful for stairs.
- TruSweep 460 – A manual sweeper perfect for outdoor areas or anywhere a power supply is not accessible, it picks up polystyrene, leaves, crisp packets and small litter items.
- Hydromist 35 – a self-contained carpet extractor that cleans in a single pass and leaves carpets almost dry, ideal for large areas of carpeting thanks to its 35 litre capacity and 45 cm cleaning path.
Sara Speirs, Managing Director of Spectrum Service Solutions, was impressed with the results: “The Truvox machines were perfect for this contract, radically cutting down the time needed to clean large areas. Our staff found the machines extremely easy to use, and full training was given to enable them to achieve maximum productivity in an unobtrusive way.”
Having a wide range of different machines to deal with all kinds of weather was crucial, according to David Speirs, Technical Director of Spectrum Service Solutions: “We needed a good contingency plan for every eventuality. We had to have access to a range ofmachines that could handle both wet and dry cleaning, and pick up more bulky materials such as leaves and more awkward material such as wet grass. This is where the TruSweep 460 came into its own, cleaning safely and efficiently, thanks to slight set-upadjustments thatallowed it to work on external carpeted areas as well asconventional external surfaces.”